YES! You can make mashed potatoes ahead of time and freeze them. This recipe freezes beautifully and reheats in the microwave or oven!
Hey friends! Today I’m sharing a little bonus recipe with you to compliment my Freezer Shepherd’s Pie. Both are great make ahead recipes that I seal in FoodSaver bags and store in my freezer for those crazy nights when the temptation of a drive through supper has it’s strongest lure. Instead of caving and grabbing a pizza or bag of burgers, I go grab a couple of bags from my freezer, do a quick thaw, and have one of my family’s favorite suppers ready with just a matter of popping it in the oven.
This recipe is also a great low fuss side since it is made ahead, perfect to stretch out Sunday dinner or serve alongside a quick little weeknight supper.
If you’ve been looking for a mashed potato recipe that freezes well, I hope you print this one off to try soon! Note: This recipe makes two family sized servings.
- 5 lbs potatoes
- 1/2 - 1 cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cube the potatoes. Place in large pot and cover with water.
- Put pot over medium high heat and bring just a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender. Drain well.
- Place potatoes back in pot and add butter and cream cheese. Mix up with potatoe masher until fluffy. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve half immediately and place the remaining half in a FoodSaver bag and freeze.
- To serve the frozen potatoes, thaw in the refrigerator over night. Snip one corner of the bag off to vent and microwave 4-5 minutes, or until heated through. Stir well before serving.
If you don’t have a FoodSaver vacuum sealer yet, I highly recommend them as appliances that can save you hundreds of dollars on your grocery bill each year. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought up meat and stored it in freezer zipper seal bags only to find it freezer burned and covered in ice crystals later. Vacuum sealing it keeps my meat fresh for years – YEARS. Literally. Check out more information by visiting some of my other FoodSaver posts below.
Note: This post was not sponsored by FoodSaver but some of my posts about FoodSaver were. I genuinely love the appliance and use it often so it is natural that I talk about it from time to time.Yum