Infused with flavor thanks to ginger, cloves, brown sugar, and peaches, this Georgia chicken recipe is the perfect one-pan summer main dish… with a glass of sweet tea.
I tend to like my meat to be on its own where it can be the star of the show. To me, fruit just feels like it should be the closing act. The first question when I mention this is always, “but what about apples and pork chops?” No. I just can’t. Sorry, folks.
The exception to the rule
But there are a few exceptions to every rule, even with me. One of them is this Georgia chicken recipe. It’s been a favorite of mine for a while now. The juicy chicken and pop of flavor from the peaches blend perfectly together beneath a delicate sprinkling of brown sugar and spices.
It’s so easy to make. All you need is one pan and 5 ingredients: chicken, ginger, cloves, canned peaches, and brown sugar. And all you gotta do is place the chicken in the greased pan, top them with the peaches, and then add the sugar and spices (which you already mixed together 😉). Pop that in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes and supper is served. How simple is that? It’s just the most perfect light and refreshing summer main meal.
Georgia chicken should be known near and far, but it’s not… yet. This recipe is an adaptation from one I found on the Georgia Peach Board’s website a couple of years ago and it’s one to pass down for generations. Now I’m passing it down to you, so let’s get cooking!
If you love this easy chicken recipe make sure you check out some of my other chicken recipes like 3-Ingredient Ritz Cracker Chicken, Instant Pot Butter Chicken Recipe, Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole, Slow Cooker Coke Chicken, and Chicken Pot Pie.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Ground cloves
- Ground ginger
- Light brown sugar
- Canned peaches
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Georgia Ginger Peach Chicken
In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cloves, and ginger until well blended.
Place chicken in a 9×13 greased baking dish and pour peaches over the top.
Sprinkle the whole party with the brown sugar mixture.
Place in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until your chicken is done.
It needs to reach an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
Every now and then, baste the chicken with the juices in the casserole dish.
How do you serve Georgia chicken?
I prefer this served with a light side dish.
I just added some fresh spinach and used pan juices and more peaches for the dressing.
But another popular option is serving it on a bed of white rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.
Take it OVER THE TOP by making a pitcher of Southern Breeze Sweet Tea. This tea perfectly sweetens itself as it steeps and is carb-free, calorie-free, and the absolute closest I have found to real sugar-sweetened tea.
Click here to see my post where I show how I brew this tea directly in my pitcher in just a few minutes.
Click here to find out what stores in your area carry Southern Breeze Sweet Tea.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat the chicken in the microwave, oven, or air fryer until heated through.
- I’m using boneless skinless chicken breasts but bone-in chicken thighs would work just fine, whatever cuts you want to use. Just use your common sense and check for doneness. Smaller pieces, of course, might require a bit less time, larger pieces might require more.
- You can also use fresh peaches, however many you like. I prefer more peaches rather than fewer, so feel free to go crazy. Just peel ’em and slice ’em and you’re ready to go. This is really a very low-fuss recipe.
- You can also swap ground ginger for grated fresh ginger.
- Want to add a different flavor to the sugar and spice mixture? Here are some suggestions:
- Half a cup of spicy ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard or yellow mustard.
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- A pinch of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes.
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup of chili sauce
- A cup of golden raisins
Can you make ginger peach chicken in the slow cooker?
Absolutely! Prepare the dish as instructed, but instead of putting the ingredients in a baking dish, you’ll put them in your slow cooker. Then cover and cook it on low for 4 to 5 hours, until the chicken is cooked and tender.
Check out these other easy one-pan chicken recipes:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 29-ounce can drained peach slices
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, ginger, and cloves.1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Pour peaches over the chicken. Sprinkle the entire thing with the brown sugar mixture.4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 29-ounce can drained peach slices
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. Baste the chicken with the pan juices from time to time.
“One kind word can change someone’s entire day.”
Special thanks to Southern Breeze Sweet Tea for sponsoring this post and helping me bring this wonderful recipe to you!