Overloaded with flavorful roasted vegetables and served with olives and quinoa, this healthy Mediterranean quinoa salad recipe is so filling and perfect as a main or side.
Do I have a different treat for you today! We’re two-stepping away from Southern cuisine for a second to bring you a deliciously healthy salad recipe. This Mediterranean quinoa salad recipe ticks a lot of boxes. It’s…
- Vegan and gluten-free
- Full of protein
- Hearty and filling, so you can enjoy it as a main meal or as a side dish.
- Quick and easy to make and ready to eat in less than an hour.
The first step is to roast the vegetables in the oven. Today I’m using two different types of bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini. Toss them on a baking sheet with Italian seasoning, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and bake for 30 minutes. Then we let them cool before making our warm salad and combining them in a bowl with kalamata olives and quinoa. Add parsley for garnish and you’re ready to rock and roll!
One of my favorite things about this Mediterranean quinoa bowl is that you can use the recipe as a base and make it work for you and your family. Want to add different roasted vegetables? More protein to make it into the main dish? Go right ahead! I’ve included plenty of suggestions below for inspiration.
But as is, this Mediterranean roasted vegetable salad is so flavorful and the combination of the crunchy vegetables and soft quinoa will have everyone wanting seconds… just you wait. Personally, it’s my new go-to for potlucks, BBQs, and dinner parties.
- Red bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Cherry tomato halves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Kalamata olives
- Cooked quinoa
- Fresh parsley (optional garnish)
How to Make Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Place diced zucchini, bell peppers, onion, cherry tomato, oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper on a baking tray.
Roast vegetables for 30 minutes in the middle of the oven.
When vegetables are ready, allow them to cool down.
Then add them to a large bowl along with the olives and cooked quinoa.
Adjust salt if needed.
Toss to combine then garnish with fresh parsley.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Eat fresh straight from the fridge. The Mediterranean quinoa bowl is a great meal prep option if you’re looking for a healthy weekday lunch.
- Freezing the salad is not recommended.
I told you they were coming! Here are lots of suggestions to make this roast veggie salad work for you:
Instead of quinoa, serve the roasted vegetables with:
- Cooked pasta
- Black rice
Use different roasted vegetables, like:
- Red onion
- Yellow squash
For the main dish, serve it with:
- Instead of parsley, garnish your salad with the fresh herbs of your choice, like chopped fresh basil or fresh mint leaves.
- Another optional garnish is toasted pine nuts.
- If not vegan, top your salad with crumbled feta cheese (it pairs perfectly with the roasted vegetables).
- Feel free to add your favorite dressing on top too (Italian or a balsamic vinegar dressing would be best). However, if storing leftovers, I’d just add the dressing to individual servings so it doesn’t get mushy in the fridge.
- For a touch of heat, add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes to the other seasonings.
- I’m using white quinoa, but tricolor or red quinoa also works.
Do I need to rinse the quinoa before cooking?
The short answer is no, you don’t have to. Rinsing quinoa before cooking can help remove any bitter flavor. I don’t usually rinse mine, but if you want to go that extra step you can rinse the quinoa in a strainer under cold water for 60 seconds before cooking according to package directions.
Is quinoa gluten-free?
Yes! Quinoa is gluten-free.
Check out these other salad recipes:
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (0.43 lb)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (0.30 lb)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced (0.30 lb)
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Place diced zucchini, bell peppers, cherry tomato, oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper on a baking tray. Toss altogether. Roast vegetables for 30 minutes in the middle of the oven.1 medium zucchini, diced (0.43 lb), 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (0.30 lb), 1 medium green bell pepper, diced (0.30 lb), 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes, halved, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 3/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- When vegetables are ready, allow them to cool down then add them to a large bowl. Add olives and quinoa. Adjust salt if needed.1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped, 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve.parsley for garnish, optional