Get set to enjoy the best grilled cheese sandwich you’ve ever had. A classic Southern lunch, this pimento cheese sandwich is grilled to ooey-gooey perfection.
This Southern pimento cheese sandwich recipe (grilled or fresh bread) is something that you have to get in your life! In the South, this is a much-loved recipe and always at the top of your mind when you are trying to think of a quick bite to eat. Pimento cheese is beloved for its enticing combination of tangy flavor and light, creamy texture. White bread or wheat, grilled or fresh, I will never refuse this sandwich.
If you’re not from the South, you’re probably wondering what the heck pimentos are. Well, they begin their life as a type of chili pepper called cherry peppers. Sweeter than bell peppers, they’re small in size and red in color. Pimento peppers are also spelled pimiento and while they are very mild when it comes to spice, their sweet taste adds such a nice flavor to our cheese dish. Way back when pimentos were too expensive to import, a very smart Georgian farmer decided to grow them in the US and the rest is history.
Called the “caviar of the South”, pimento cheese is making its way around the country to become a more popular dish all around. But Southerners sure do have a liking for this recipe. Many are used to using Velveeta and Christy did a post on how to make pimento cheese with Velveeta right here. But while we’re all about the pimento grilled cheese today, you can take this spread and enjoy it with crackers, celery, corn chips, or even slathered on hamburgers.
Now let’s get to mixing this pimento cheese spread…
- Cream cheese (softened)
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pimentos, drained and chopped (if not already).
- Mayonnaise (I use Dukes)
- Garlic (if you like)
- Salt and pepper
If you are going to make this into a grilled cheese sandwich you are gonna need some butter too.
How to Make a Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich Step By Step
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add your softened cream cheese.
Add your sharp cheddar, mayo, pimentos, garlic, and salt and pepper to the cream cheese.
Mix up those ingredients until you have a thick wonderful pimento cheese spread.
Now you could just stop right here and get out your favorite crackers and start dippin’ and enjoying this dip. But, if you want some comfort food let’s continue on and make us the most delicious grilled cheese sandwich you ever had!
Butter one side (some people butter both sides of the bread which is divine too but I am watching my fats so I only did one side) and place butter side down in a pan. Spread the pimento cheese onto the slice.
Butter the other slice one or both sides, whichever you prefer.
Brown both sides to perfection.
Oh My! I just had to take a bite! Hope you enjoy!
- Store your pimento cheese spread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
- I don’t recommend freezing pimento cheese as it doesn’t have the same texture once thawed.
If you want to take your sandwich to the next level, add some crispy bacon, grilled ham, sliced tomato, or 1 to 2 teaspoons of seeded and diced jalapenos for a nice spicy kick.
Can I cook my pimento grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer?
Yes, you can. Place the assembled grilled cheese in the air fryer basket and cook it at 360 degrees for about five minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Flip the sandwich and follow the same instructions.
Can you make light pimento cheese?
While it’s somewhat difficult to make a light version of pimento cheese spread, you can make some substitutions. This includes using light cream cheese, reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, or light mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt.
What is the best bread for pimento cheese sandwiches?
There’s no best bread to use in these grilled cheese sandwiches. You can use white, wheat, gluten-free, or even a bread roll. Whatever bread you have on hand will work perfectly.
Can you make pimento cheese sandwiches ahead of time?
While you can prepare the pimento cheese spread ahead of time or the night before (it lasts in the fridge for up to one week), you need to spread it onto the bread and grill the sandwich right before serving. Otherwise, your bread will be very soggy.
What goes with pimento cheese sandwiches?
While this sandwich is a meal on its own, you can also serve it alongside a fresh salad for a delicious main meal. Some of my favorite salad recipes are Greek cucumber salad, summer corn salad, broccoli cauliflower salad, and cornbread salad.
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar shredded
- 4 oz Pimentos drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise I use Duke's
- 1 tsp garlic (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a medium-sized bowl. Mix well and serve in a bowl with your favorite dipping snack (crackers, chips, etc) OR continue following instructions for the best grilled cheese you ever had...8 oz cream cheese, 2 cups sharp cheddar, 4 oz Pimentos, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp garlic, salt and pepper to taste
- Butter one or both sides of a slice of your favorite bread. Place in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Spread Pimento Cheese on the bread slice.
- Place the other slice of bread (butter one or both sides) on top and allow the bottom slice to brown. I sometimes cover this with a lid to encourage the cheese to melt a bit. If you want perfect grilled bread, keep an eye on it.
- Brown both sides and slice if you like. And enjoy!!
You may also like these other pimento cheese recipes: