This Pimento Cheese Sandwich (grilled or fresh bread) is something that you have to get in your life! In the South this is a much loved recipe and always at the top of mind when you are trying to think of a quick bite to eat. White bread or wheat, grilled or fresh I will never refuse this sandwich.
What The Heck Are Pimentos?
Pimentos begin their life as a type of chili pepper called “cherry peppers.” They are sweeter than bell peppers, small in size and red in color.
Pimento peppers are also spelled Pimiento and while they are very mild when it comes to spice, their sweet taste adds such a nice flavor to our cheese dish.
Pimento Cheese is A Southern Thang
Did you know that way back when Pimentos were way too expensive to import so a very smart Georgia farmer decided to grow the in the US and the rest is history. Though very popular in the South, Pimento Cheese is making its way around the country to become a more popular dish all around. But Southerners sure do have a liking for this recipe. Many are used to using Velveeta and Christy did a post on how to make Pimento cheese with Velveeta right here.
Now lets get to mixing this Pimento Cheese spread…
And as usual the printable recipe card with ingredient and amounts is down below after our tutorial.
Ingredients you will need are:
- Cream cheese (softened)
- Sharp cheddar shredded
- Pimentos, drained and chopped (if not already).
- Mayonnaise (I use Dukes)
- Garlic (if you like)
- Salt and pepper
If you are going to make this into a grilled cheese sandwich you are gonna needs some butter too.
How to Make Pimento Grilled Cheese Sandwich Step By Step
In a medium sized mixing bowl add your softened cream cheese.
Add your sharp cheddar, mayo, pimentos, garlic, salt and pepper to the cream cheese.
Mix up those ingredients until you have a thick wonderful Pimento Cheese spread. Now you could just stop right here and get out your favorite crackers and start dippin and enjoying this dip or if you want some comfort food let’s continue on and make us the most delicious grilled cheese sandwich you ever had!
Butter one side (some people butter both sides of the bread which is divine too but I am watching my fats so I only did one side) and place butter side down in a pan. Spread the Pimento Cheese onto the slice.
Butter the other slice one or both sides, whichever you prefer.
Brown both sides to perfection 🙂
Oh My! I just had to take a bite! Hope you enjoy 🙂
- 8 oz Cream cheese (softened)
- 2 c Sharp cheddar shredded
- 4 oz Pimentos drained and chopped
- 1/2 c Mayonnaise I use Duke's
- 1 tsp Garlic (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Mix well and serve in a bowl with your favorite dipping snack (crackers, chips, etc) OR continue following instructions for the best grilled cheese you ever had...
- Butter one or both sides of a slice of your favorite bread. Place in a frying pain on medium high heat. Spread Pimento Cheese on the bread slice.
- Place other slice of bread (butter one or both sides) on top and allow bottom slice to brown. I sometimes cover this with a lid to encourage the cheese to melt a bit. If you want perfect grilled bread, keep an eye on it
- Brown both sides and slice if you like. And enjoy!!
You may also like these Pimento Cheese recipes: