How To Make Sticky Chicken
This sticky chicken recipe is one of those dishes that, somedays, you just gotta have. Sticky Chicken has been around about as long as folks have been cooking. The recipe has evolved and been tweaked over the years but the flavorful sticky marinade that clings to the chicken is still every bit as good as folks remember from the days when Granny used to make it for Sunday dinner.
This recipe for sticky chicken is pretty simple, mix up some ingredients, bring them to a boil, pour them over chicken pieces and bake. It’s a home run with kids as well as adults, too!
The ingredients for the Sticky Chicken recipe are:
- Brown sugar (dark or light, whatever you have)
- Garlic powder
- Soy sauce
- You’re also going to need about 3-5 pounds of bone in chicken with the skin still on it. For my boneless Sticky Chicken Recipe click here.
Traditionally, folks use legs and thighs for this but my Kroger had bone in split chicken breasts for buy one get one free – so I have four HUGE Chicken breasts halves that cost me a few dollars and that is what we’re using!
Put everything in a sauce pot and stir it up really good. Place over medium high heat.
You can do medium heat but I like to get things rolling.
Patience is a virtue and all that but I find that my patience is best used in dealing with people, critters, and my spotty internet connection.
Bring it just to a boil and then remove from heat.
Place your chicken pieces in a 9×13 baking dish and pour all of the sauce over.
Place this in a 350 degree oven and bake, uncovered, for 90 minutes total.
After 45 minutes…flip all of the chicken over in the dish.
An hour and fifteen minutes into cooking, flip pieces again and baste with some of the sauce in the pan. Bake another fifteen minutes.
NOTE: cooking time is the same if you use legs and thighs.
Booyah! Sticky chicken!
This dish was extremely difficult to photograph because I really just wanted to eat it.
“Click click, ok, photo session is done! Let’s eat!”
I’m serving some green beans with it (Green Been Recipe Here) and simple Mahatma Saffron Rice. Rice goes great with this because the chicken is so flavorful.
- 3 -5 pounds bone in chicken with skin folks usually use legs and/or thighs
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a sauce pot, combine ketchup, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, and garlic powder over medium heat.
- Bring it just to a boil while stirring. Remove from heat.
- Arrange chicken pieces in 9x13 dish. Pour entire amount of sauce over chicken, turning pieces with tongs to coat.
- Place in oven, uncovered, for 90 minutes, turning after 45 minutes.
- Fifteen minutes before cooking time is up, flip pieces once more and baste with sauce.
You may also like these recipes:
Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap,
but by the seeds you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Submitted by Diane. Submit your quote by clicking here.