The sweet homemade barbecue sauce for this BBQ chicken breast in oven recipe is AH-mazing y’all. Made with the finger-lickin’ combination of honey, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, and garlic powder, it makes the most sensational sticky chicken dish.
Now, I’ve shared a sticky chicken recipe before on Southern Plate. However, the original recipe requires bone-in, skin-on chicken breast. The skin was key for all that wonderful sticky sauce to have something to stick to.
I’ve since modified the recipe with a little trick (which will be revealed below) that makes it work with boneless skinless chicken breasts because we all know they are everyone’s favorite. They are easier (and often cheaper) to find these days. I personally always have boneless, skinless chicken breast in my freezer.
This bbq chicken breast in oven recipe includes a sweet homemade bbq sauce that’s going to blow you away! It includes an enticing combination of honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder, and ketchup. The oven-baked chicken breast comes out nice and moist and irresistibly saucy.
We like to serve our baked chicken breast (which we call sticky chicken) with yellow rice and spoon extra sauce on top for the rice to soak in. I can’t wait for you to taste this sauce! It’s like no other.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Garlic powder
- All-purpose flour (self-rising flour will do just fine if that is what you have).
Helpful Kitchen Tools
To make the best barbecue sauce ever, simply place all of the ingredients in a 2-cup measuring cup and stir well. Place this in the microwave or a small saucepot.
If using the microwave: Heat for one minute and stir. Repeat in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until smooth and well blended.
If using a saucepot: Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until it becomes hot enough to blend together well with no lumps.
Pour just a bit of this wonderful sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Spread to coat the bottom of the dish.
Place flour in a shallow bowl and just press each side of each chicken breast into that so that it is lightly coated.
Place these in your baking dish.
Spoon the remaining barbecue sauce over the top of the chicken breasts.
Place uncovered in a 350-degree oven.
After 30 minutes, remove from the oven and carefully flip chicken pieces over. Spoon sauce from the baking dish over them again and return to the oven for another 15-30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
Baste it once more during this time.
Remove from oven and baste again (without returning to the oven). Allow to sit for five minutes and baste once more before serving.
Excellent served with yellow rice or mashed potato so you can spoon some of that delicious bbq sauce over them!
I hope your family and friends love this baked BBQ chicken breast recipe as much as mine does.
Store leftover barbecue chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave, oven, or air fryer until warm. You can also freeze them for up to 4 weeks. Thaw in the fridge before reheating as mentioned.
You can use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts in this if you prefer.
What do you serve with BBQ chicken breast?
The world is your oyster when it comes to sides to accompany this main dish. I’ve mentioned yellow rice and mashed potato but you might prefer cauliflower rice or cheesy garlic mashed potatoes. Another option is mac and cheese, like our favorite oven-baked version or cauliflower mac and cheese. What about roasted vegetables or a potato salad? The options are truly endless!
Check out these other great chicken breast recipes:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup flour
- In a medium bowl or a large measuring cup (I use a 4-cup measuring cup), stir together the ketchup, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, and garlic powder until well combined.1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- If using the microwave: Heat for one minute and stir. Repeat in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until smooth and well blended. If using a saucepot: Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until it becomes hot enough to blend together well with no lumps.
- Place enough sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish to be able to spread it around and cover the bottom.
- Place 1 cup of flour in a shallow bowl. Dip each chicken breast into flour on both sides and place in the baking dish top side down. Spoon remaining sauce over them, making sure to coat the chicken.1 cup flour, 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Place in a 350-degree oven, uncovered. After 30 minutes, remove from oven and carefully flip chicken pieces over. Spoon sauce from baking dish over them again and return to oven for another 15-30 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked, basting once more while cooking.
- Remove from oven and baste again. Allow to sit for five minutes and baste once more before serving. Excellent served with yellow rice or mashed potatoes so you can spoon some of that delicious sauce over them!
This recipe is featured on Meal Plan Monday 😁