This absolutely delicious buffalo chicken chili recipe is creamy, spicy, and has a little tang to it. Quick and easy, this perfect weeknight supper is sure to be a favorite!
Are you a fan of buffalo chicken dip or buffalo chicken wings? What about chili? Well, combine the two and you have this buffalo chicken chili recipe. Ready to eat in just 40 minutes (or you can pop it in the slow cooker and go about your day), this chili is quick, easy, and finger-licking delicious! It’s the perfect weeknight supper, game day or tailgating treat, or meal prep option. Leftovers can last in the fridge all week and all it needs is a little zap in the microwave.
Let me tell ya… this is such a flavorful dish. The ingredients list might look long, but it’s worth it, trust me. We start by sauteing the onion, celery, and garlic in olive oil and butter, which gives the recipe a depth of flavor you just can’t get from oil alone. Then we add chicken broth and our seasonings: pepper, chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Oh yes, this chili lives up to its name and has got some kick!
The next step is to stir in the all-important buffalo sauce and chicken, along with beans, corn, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Let that simmer for 20 minutes before stirring in cream cheese and shredded cheese. That’s all there is to it! Serve your buffalo chicken chili with your favorite toppings, like more cheese, sour cream, green onion, or cilantro.
Quick, easy, and bursting with flavor. This chicken chili is creamy, cheesy, spicy, and tangy all at once. It’s also so hearty and filling – the perfect comfort food dish to get you through cool nights.
By the way, if you’re looking for more buffalo-flavored recipes, check out my buffalo cauliflower bites and easy buffalo chicken quesadilla.
- Olive oil
- White or yellow onion
- Chicken broth
- Ground black pepper
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Buffalo sauce (I like to use Frank’s Buffalo Sauce, but any brand is fine).
- Cooked shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken or cooked and shredded chicken breast or chicken thighs).
- White beans (cannellini beans or white navy beans).
- Canned or frozen sweet corn kernels
- Fire-roasted tomatoes (any diced tomato can will work, just don’t drain them).
- Cream cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese or Colby Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: green onion, cilantro, crumbled blue cheese, and sour cream.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Chili
Heat the oil and butter in a large stock pot, then add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook for 4 minutes.
Add the broth and stir.
Then add the pepper, chili powder, cumin, and paprika, stirring until combined.
Stir in the buffalo wing sauce, then add the chicken, beans, corn, and tomatoes.
Simmer for 20 minutes, then add the cream cheese and 1.5 cups of cheese.
Stir until melted.
My goodness, how good does our chili look? How easy was that?
Get your bowls ready!
Serve large bowls of chili with a sprinkle of cheese and your favorite toppings, like chopped fresh cilantro and blue cheese crumbles.
A side of cornbread doesn’t hurt, either 😉.
- Store leftover chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
- May be frozen for up to 3 months (I recommend freezing in individual-sized servings). Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating as above.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes so it will melt easier and let it warm to room temperature while you are cooking the soup.
- For extra spice, add extra chili flakes or jalapenos.
- Milder? Add a nice dollop of sour cream when serving.
- Instead of shredded chicken, you can use cooked ground chicken or turkey too. A vegetarian option is roasted cauliflower florets.
- If you’re not on team cilantro, swap it for a different fresh herb, like chopped fresh parsley. Or simply substitute it for green onion instead.
- This is a take on white chicken chili, but instead of white beans feel free to use kidney beans or black beans.
Can I make buffalo chicken chili in the slow cooker?
Absolutely! To make crockpot buffalo chicken chili, just add the first 15 ingredients (up to the cream cheese) to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 6 hours. Then add the cream cheese and cheddar cheese and continue cooking until it is melted and smooth. Serve.
How do you serve buffalo chicken chili?
Now, this chili is a hearty main dish as is. But here are lots of optional serving suggestions:
- Serve it over white rice or Spanish rice.
- Add a side of cornbread.
- Go wild with the toppings! Choose from chopped green onion, sour cream, Greek yogurt, sliced avocado, crispy onions, extra buffalo sauce, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, or crumbled blue cheese.
You may also like these comforting chili recipes:
Bama Chili Served Cincinnati Style
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can sweet corn, drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Colby Jack cheese
- salt to taste, optional
- For serving: green onion, remaining shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and/or buffalo sauce
- Heat the oil and butter in a large stock pan, then add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook for 4 minutes.1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp butter, 1 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Add the broth and stir, then add the pepper, chili powder, cumin, and paprika, stirring until combined.4 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Stir in the buffalo sauce, then add the chicken, beans, corn, and tomatoes.3/4 cup buffalo sauce, 3 cups shredded cooked chicken, 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed, 1 15-ounce can sweet corn, drained, 1 14.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then add the cream cheese and 1.5 cups of cheese. Stir until melted and add salt to taste, if desired.8 ounces cream cheese, cubed, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Colby Jack cheese, salt to taste, optional
- Serve large bowls of chili with a sprinkle of cheese and your favorite toppings.For serving: green onion, remaining shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and/or buffalo sauce
I love buffalo chicken dip so I can’t wait to try this!