With moist and tender chicken tossed in a flavorful seasoning with vegetables and rice, this homemade chicken with fried rice is an easy peasy takeout alternative.
This chicken with fried rice recipe is filling without being too heavy in your stomach. At times when I have eaten chicken fried rice Chinese-style out at a restaurant, it ends up being so much more expensive than making this at home. Plus, I know I am using fresh ingredients and staying away from preservatives and additives like flavor enhancers.
This homemade chicken with fried rice is so quick, easy, and flavorful it doesn’t need enhancers. An irresistible combination of soy sauce, sesame oil, grated ginger, and garlic powder flavor the rice, veggies, and chicken. You and your family are guaranteed to love this dish’s light fluffy texture and delicious taste.
If that’s not enough to win you over, I should mention this chicken fried rice is a great recipe to freeze. Keep scrolling for freezer instructions!
- 2.5 pounds of boneless chicken breasts
- Frozen veggies of your choice (I chose a mixture of green beans, , and corn).
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Grated ginger
- Garlic powder
- Brown rice
- To make my freezer chicken fried rice recipe, I begin by sautéing the chicken in a little bit of butter until it is no longer pink in the center.
- Add in chopped onion (it’s already chopped and in my FoodSaver® Fresh Container in the fridge).
- Cook until onion is tender.
- Add all other veggies, sauces, and seasonings, and cook until veggies are cooked through.
- Push the cooked chicken mixture over to one side of the pan and add eggs. Cook them, stirring from time to time, until just scrambled.
- Stir the entire mixture together and stir in cooked rice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This is enough for two complete meals for a family of four.
Here is the beautiful and tasty finished product.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days and reheat in the microwave.
Can you freeze chicken with fried rice?
Take half of the chicken fried rice recipe and seal in a FoodSaver® bag. Label and freeze until ready to use. To reheat, remove from freezer and cut one corner of the bag to vent and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes, or until heated through. Allow it to sit for one minute before removing it from the bag.
While I was visiting my Mama recently, I also stored the chicken fried rice in these Tupperware-like containers and froze them so she could have them when I was gone or share them with her friends. I would take these out of the containers when ready to eat. Place in a bowl and reheat in the microwave. These could be reheated on the stovetop as well.
- For a low-carb alternative, use cauliflower rice.
- Instead of chicken breast, use shrimp (cook about one minute each side), 1 1/2 cups of ham (just heated through), leftover roast chicken, or chicken thigh. These may need to cook a little bit longer than the breasts.
- You could also add some bacon pieces along with the chicken breast to add flavor.
- Another option is to make this a vegetarian fried rice dish with tofu or pineapple.
- You can use whichever rice you prefer, whether that’s white rice, long grain rice, jasmine rice, brown rice, or even quinoa.
- Add whichever vegetables you like. If you have some leftovers in the fridge you need to use up, chop them up small and toss them in. Other vegetables I like to add include frozen peas, broccoli, bell pepper, snow peas, , and water chestnuts.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chopped green onion and on top.
- If you like your fried rice with some heat, don’t hesitate to serve it with a drizzle of sriracha either.
- If you can’t have sesame oil, it’s fine to substitute it for canola oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil.
Check out these other Asian-inspired take out alternatives:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 24 ounces frozen mixed vegetables of your choice
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 eggs
- 5 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large wok-style skillet, saute chicken in butter over medium-high heat until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is tender.2 tablespoons butter, 2.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 cup chopped onion
- Add in all other ingredients except rice. Continue cooking over medium-high heat, stirring often, until vegetables are cooked through.24 ounces frozen mixed vegetables of your choice, 6 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons sesame oil, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Push chicken mixture over to one side of the skillet and add eggs to the empty side. Scramble a bit with a spoon and cook until set, stirring as needed. Stir scrambled egg into chicken mixture and then stir in rice.6 eggs, 5 cups cooked brown rice
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.