There is nothing like Southern cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving! Moist and delicious, served steaming, with sides of cranberry sauce and ample amounts of chicken or turkey inside. Often reserved for holidays, my grandmother changed all of that with her crock pot chicken and dressing recipe. Now we have this family favorite all year long thanks to the little effort involved in preparing it.
I’ve often said there is no sight prettier than an old lady with a casserole dish – but the sight of my Grandmother toting her crock pot had it beat by far! This is from my grandmother Lucille’s recipe files to you. Enjoy!
- About two pans of cornbread (9 inch round pans)
- Two hamburger or hot dog buns*
- Cream of chicken soup (two cans)
- Stick of butter
- Ground sage
- Chopped turkey
- Boiled eggs
Rather not use canned cream of chicken? Make your own with this recipe.
You can omit the meat if you like, or even use a rotisserie chicken in place of having to cook it.
Are you looking at this and thinking “Well my Mama always added chopped celery” or “My mama never used onion…” then go ahead and add celery or leave out the onion. Make it your own!
*Why the buns? These help hold the stuffing together and give it body. Everyone I now adds in some “light bread” to their dressing. It just works and it’s delicious. Hint, put these out on the counter first thing in the morning so they can get a little stale. This makes them easier to crumble.
Crumble up your cornbread. Add crumbled up buns as well. This is in a really really big bowl (I think four quarts).
Chop up your eggs and onion. Add those in.
Add in onions, egg, sage, melted butter, 1 can of cream soup, and broth.
stir that up really well
Take a bite just to taste it 😁. SO GOOD! At this point, my taste buds are pretty excited about Crock Pot Dressing!
Now take that other can of cream of chicken and spread half of it in the bottom of your slow cooker
Top with 1/3 of the dressing mixture
and 1/2 of the turkey
Repeat again, ending with dressing.
Spread remaining half of the cream of chicken soup over the crock pot dressing
Cover and cook on low 3 hours and it’s ready to serve!
- 3-4 Cups Shredded Turkey or rotisserie chicken optional
- 3-4 cups broth from your turkey or canned
- 2 pans cornbread 9 inch
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1/2 cup one stick butter, melted
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons dried sage
- 2 buns hot dog or hamburger
- Set aside one can cream of chicken soup and the turkey (or chicken).
- In large bowl, crumble cornbread and buns. Add all other ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
- In bottom of 6 quart slow cooker, spread half the remaining can of cream of chicken soup. Top with 1/3 of the dressing mixture and 1/2 of the meat. Add another 1/3 of the dressing and remaining meat, then the remaining dressing. Spread the rest of the cream of chicken soup over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Serve hot.
This recipe featured on Meal Plan Monday.
If the only prayer you said in your whole life was “thank you” that would suffice. ~Unknown