There is nothing like Old Fashioned
Homemade Banana Pudding
This recipe is from Heaven to a Southerner!
Today I’m thrilled to bring you a recipe video for Homemade Banana Pudding with a Meringue topping. The printable recipe is below the video.
Let’s get started…
The ingredients you will need for the Homemade Banana Pudding with a Meringue Topping are:
- Nilla Wafers
- Eggs (separate the yolks from the whites)
How to Make Homemade Banana Pudding with Meringue Topping
- Take the Nilla Wafers and put them in the bottom of medium sized bowl
- Cover with sliced bananas.
- Repeat this process twice so you have Nilla Wafer layer, then bananas, then another layer of wafers and more bananas. Top her off with a last layer of the wafers to look like the above picture. Set aside.
How to Make the Pudding
- In a medium size sauce pot or double broiler, add sugar, egg yolks, milk and flour and whisk on low heat. Stir constantly til thickened about 15 mins.
- Take off heat. Add in vanilla
- Stir it in and then immediately pour onto banana and wafers
Tips For Making the Meringue Topping
Meringue is a simple thing to make, as easy as turning on a mixer, but there are a two things you need to know about.
- Make sure no yellow from your egg gets in with your white. None. At. All. You want only whites so be careful when separating them.
- Make sure everything that is going to come into contact with your egg whites is clean and clear of any greasy residue. Fresh from the dishwasher should be just fine.
- Place your egg whites in the bottom of a clean mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer until foamy. Add in sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form
You know you are there when you pull your beaters up out of the meringue and it creates a point that remains standing up, this is why we refer to it as a stiff peak. See the video above for a bit more detail if you like.
- Add the meringue topping and spread it to the edges to seal it well. Then bake at for 10 mins til top is golden.
And there you have it, a gorgeous meringue to top a delectable homemade banana pudding.
There is nothing in this world like real homemade banana pudding. I hope you get to wrap your hands around a bowl soon!
- ½ cup sugar or splenda
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 box Vanilla Wafers
- 5 bananas
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- dash salt
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- Place a layer of Nilla Wafers in the bottom of a medium sized mixing bowl. Slice a banana over the top. Repeat two more times with another layer of wafers and remaining bananas.
- In sauce pot (or double boiler) on medium low heat, add all ingredients except for vanilla. Stir well with wire whisk. Allow to cook, stirring constantly to prevent scorching, until thickened - about fifteen minutes.
- Add in vanilla and stir. Immediately pour over wafers and bananas.
- Whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar. Continue beating on high speed until soft peaks form. Pour onto top of pudding and spread to edges to seal well. Bake at 325 for ten minutes or until top is golden.
You may also like these recipes:
I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.