Made with just 6 essentials you probably already have in your kitchen, let me show you how easy it is to make homemade cream of chicken soup… plus some perfect complementary recipes!
Whether you prefer homemade or just don’t have canned condensed soup on hand, this cream of chicken soup recipe is the perfect substitution and is ready in minutes. All you need is 6 ingredients I bet are already sitting in your kitchen: flour, chicken broth, milk, butter, salt, and pepper.
It takes less than 15 minutes to make my homemade condensed cream of chicken soup recipe. All you’re going to do is melt the butter, add the flour and stir it to make a slurry, then add the remaining ingredients. Stir them constantly until thickened, which takes about 10 minutes. Then you have yourselves a big batch of cream of chicken soup. How quick and easy is that?
Plus, this recipe simply replaces one can of soup. If you’re wondering what condensed cream of chicken soup is used for, the options are basically endless. We use canned soup a LOT in the South as they’re great for thickening, adding flavor, and making sauces. You’ll find at least 10 recipes down for soups, casseroles, and skillets that already use chicken soup.
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Salt and black pepper
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Cream of Chicken Soup From Scratch
Melt butter in a medium saucepot over medium-low heat.
Add flour and stir until smooth.
Add broth, milk, salt, and pepper.
Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 10 minutes).
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. You can reheat it either on the stovetop or in the microwave. Because of its creamy consistency, I don’t recommend freezing condensed soup.
- For a creamier soup, substitute the milk for evaporated milk, cream, or half-and-half. You can also use dairy-free milk too.
- For the smoothest soup, pour it through a fine mesh strainer to remove any lumps.
- Want to add a little extra seasoning and flavor to the homemade soup? Opt for about half a teaspoon each of celery salt, onion powder, dried parsley, poultry seasoning, and/or garlic powder. Add them in when you add the remaining ingredients.
- Feel free to use gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour instead too.
What is cream of chicken soup made of?
Homemade cream of chicken soup is made with flour, butter, milk, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
How do you thicken cream of chicken soup?
If you ever need to thicken a soup, add a tablespoon of flour or cornstarch at a time, stirring constantly.
Is there a difference between condensed cream of chicken soup and cream of chicken soup?
The main difference is that condensed soup is boiled down to a thick stock. So if you wanted to turn this condensed chicken soup into a cream of chicken soup to serve for supper, follow this recipe instead. You’ll need extra broth to make it thinner, plus cooked chicken, and vegetables. This particular recipe uses onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper, and frozen peas.
What can I use for cream of chicken?
Here are the best substitutes:
- Other condensed soup varieties, like cream of mushroom or cream of celery.
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Plain yogurt (or Greek yogurt)
- Chicken broth mixed solely with heavy cream or milk.
Can you adapt this recipe to make other soups?
How to make cream of mushroom soup
Substitute chicken stock for beef broth and add 1/4 cup of finely diced mushrooms to the melted butter in the pan. Sauté them for 3 to 4 minutes before adding the flour and remaining ingredients and proceeding as usual.
How to make cream of celery soup
Substitute chicken stock for vegetable broth or keep that part as is. Add 1/2 cup of finely chopped celery to the melted butter in the pan, sautéing for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Then add the flour and remaining ingredients and proceed as usual.
What recipes use cream of chicken soup?
Cream of chicken soup is a very popular ingredient in Southern cooking, so y’all know I have plenty of recipes to share:
- Cheesy Chicken And Rice (Crock Pot Version)
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- Crock Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
- Hot Chicken Salad
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Crockpot Fiesta Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Divan Casserole
- Hash Brown Casserole With Sour Cream
- Creamy Chicken Skillet
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.3 tablespoons salted butter
- Add flour to melted butter and stir well until no lumps remain.3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Add milk, broth, salt, and pepper.1/2 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste
- Continue cooking over medium-low, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 10 minutes).