This easy honey roasted sweet potato recipe is the perfect fall and holiday side dish. It includes tender baked sweet potato coated in a honey cinnamon-spiced sauce that’ll melt in your mouth.
Does anyone else love cooking with sweet potatoes in the fall? I don’t know if it’s just me, but I always find myself reaching for those taters when it gets cooler. There is an abundance of sweet potato recipes on Southern Plate, from sweet potato cake to traditional sweet potato casserole and even sweet potato creme brulee. But today we’re turning our attention toward this quick and easy honey roasted sweet potato recipe.
Yep, making this side dish is quicker than a wink. It takes about 5 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to cook. The instructions are super simple as well, which I’m always a fan of. All you need to do is cut the sweet potato into cubes and make our sauce. What’s in the sauce? It’s sweet and savory with a hint of spice and includes honey, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss the sweet potato cubes into the sauce and then roast, that’s it! The honey works to perfectly caramelize the sweet potatoes so each bite is tender and full of flavor.
I’ve included lots of serving suggestions below, but I like to think you can serve honey roasted sweet potato for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Enjoy a serving with eggs for breakfast, on a burrito for lunch, or with roasted chicken for dinner. I love a versatile side dish, how about you?
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Honey Roasted Sweet Potato
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut the peeled sweet potatoes into squares as big as you like them.
In a large bowl, add the honey…
Mix ingredients together.
Combine the cubed sweet potatoes with the honey mixture in a medium bowl.
Toss to combine.
Spread the coated squares out evenly onto a baking sheet, leaving space in between.
Roast sweet potatoes for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through if desired.
Grab your plate…
And load it up with honey roasted sweet potato. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To get them crispy once more, reheat them in the air fryer or oven.
- You can also freeze leftovers for up to 6 months—thaw in the fridge before reheating in the air fryer or oven.
Here are some other flavors you can add to the sauce to make it work for you:
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to balance out the sweet and spiced flavors already there.
- Instead of cinnamon, add up to 3 teaspoons of fresh herbs or dried herbs. Think Italian seasoning, like rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil.
- Substitute the honey for maple syrup (but not pancake syrup).
- Complement the cinnamon with 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
What do you serve with honey roasted sweet potato?
- Serve them as a holiday side dish at Christmas or Thanksgiving with roasted chicken, baked ham, or turkey breast.
- Serve them any other day of the week with grilled chicken or pork chops.
- Make a grain bowl/buddha bowl and serve them with quinoa and fresh greens.
- Add them to tacos, burritos, or enchiladas.
- Serve them with scrambled eggs for breakfast.
Do you need to parboil sweet potatoes before roasting?
No, there’s no need to parboil sweet potatoes before roasting them. They’ll get nice and tender when baked as is.
Do I have to peel my sweet potatoes?
No, you don’t have to peel the sweet potatoes before roasting them. It’s just my personal preference but do whatever cranks your tractor!
Can I make honey roasted sweet potatoes in the air fryer?
Absolutely! Just depending on the size of your air fryer, you might need to do a couple of batches. But either way, air fry the sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the peeled sweet potatoes into squares as big as you like them.2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- In a large bowl, mix the honey, olive oil, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Add the cubed sweet potatoes and toss them around to cover ‘em evenly with the honey mixture.2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste
- Spread the coated squares out evenly onto a baking sheet, leaving space in between.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through if desired.
Check out these other sensational sweet potato recipes:
Old-Fashioned Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Skins With Candied Bacon and a Spicy Basil Cream Sauce