This spoon roll recipe is simple and delicious. There’s nothin’ like the aroma of baking bread filling the kitchen. That has to be one of the best smells in the world. I love fresh bread more than cakes, pies, cookies or any other dessert.
Have a little somethin’ before or with your meal
Recently my neighbor, Barbara, told me about a little restaurant not far from our city that had the most amazing spoon rolls. This is the kind of restaurant my mother would have loved. “They bring you a little something to eat while you wait on your food”, she would have said. To Mama, that was the mark of a good place to eat.
Barbara said they brought a whole basket and real butter to spread on them. If you After she went on for a few minutes about them, my mouth was watering. I was in the process of getting the exact location so that I could go and try them out when she happened to mention that she got the recipe. Next time I saw her, she brought over a basket of hot spoon rolls. She and I sat on the patio eating them and fell in love with them.
They are the kind of roll that I love. No rising or rolling out needed. Just mix the ingredients for spoon rolls up while the oven preheats and spoon them into their little muffin cups. The recipe makes a large batch which is great because you can store the dough in the refrigerator and make them for several days. When you get ready to cook some more, just scoop them into the muffin tin. No need for more Stirrin’.
Now I want you to trust me and give these spoon rolls a try. Everyone will think you are a culinary expert.
For this Southern Spoon Rolls Recipe you’ll need these ingredients.
- Stir yeast into the warm water. Note: Your water should be the temperature of baby’s bath water. Just warm to the touch. Set it aside while you mix the other ingredients together so that it can start working.
*Make sure your yeast is fresh. Check the expiration date.
- Measure out flour and sugar. Stir
- Add oil, and a slightly beaten egg and yeast mixture.
- Stir the spoon roll ingredients until well blended.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit while the over preheats.
When you’re ready to bake the spoon rolls, spoon into muffin pans as above that have been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Pictured above with our famous Apple Butter. YUM! Click HERE for the Crock Pot Apple Butter Recipe
- 1 package yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup oil
- 4 cups self rising flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Stir yeast into warm water to dissolve.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Slightly beat egg and add to dry ingredients along with oil and yeast mixture.
- Stir with wooden spoon to combine well.
- Spoon into sprayed muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Note: This batter will keep several days in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap.
You may also enjoy this recipe!
“What you DO speaks so loudly, I can’t hear what you say.”
~A quote Nick Saban used in his book, How Good Do You Want To Be?