With a rich and deeply flavorful sauce and ultra-tender chunks of beef, there’s nothing like having this crock pot beef burgundy recipe waiting for you at the end of the day.
Also known as beef bourguignon, this recipe for crock pot beef burgundy is one I worked up a few years ago. Ricky loves beef burgundy and I’m always looking for a new flavor twist for beef cooked in the crockpot. Being teetotalers, I finally came up with a good substitute for wine that really mimics the flavor and tenderizing effect it has in a beef dish. So, what is this interesting special ingredient? Grape juice combined with white vinegar. Trust me, you’re going to want to give this beef burgundy recipe a go.
Other ingredients include cream of mushroom soup, stew meat, onion soup mix, and minced garlic. These flavors combine to create tender beef covered in a creamy sauce. Seriously, it’s difficult not to lick our plates when this delectable sauce is present. While we serve it with egg noodles and sometimes rice, I also recommend serving this main dish with some sort of bread that you can mop the remaining sauce up with. Just try and not return for seconds!
This beef burgundy recipe will warm you up and get your taste buds dancing! It’s become one of the meals my husband and I look forward to most and I sure hope you get to try it soon.
- Stew meat
- Egg noodles (for serving, rice works as well)
- Cream of mushroom soup
- White vinegar
- Onion soup mix
- Grape juice
- Minced garlic
Place all of the sauce ingredients into a medium bowl or small saucepot and heat.
If you’re using a bowl, you can just put this in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. After it is heated, stir until well blended.
If using a saucepot, you can heat over medium heat, stirring often, until well blended.
Place the beef cubes in the bottom of the slow cooker and cover them in the sauce.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Don’t forget to spoon extra sauce on top!
- Store covered leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- You can also easily freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. In both instances, simply reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- The grape juice mixed with a smidge of white vinegar serves as an excellent stand-in for wine in this recipe and really gives the sauce a delicious depth of flavor, making all the difference! If you don’t normally drink grape juice in your house, you can freeze the rest of it in an ice cube tray and then pop the cubes into a zipper bag to store in your freezer until you want to make this recipe again.
- You can get my recipe for homemade cream of mushroom soup by clicking here or just use a can as I am doing in this post.
- If you want to add vegetables, many beef bourguignon recipes include carrots, pearl onions or chopped white onion, baby potatoes, and mushrooms.
- Garnish your beef burgundy with chopped fresh parsley.
- Stew meat or beef chuck roast are the best options for this slow cooker beef burgundy recipe.
- If you prefer, you can definitely substitute the grape juice and vinegar combination for your favorite red wine. Go traditional and choose a Burgundy wine like a pinot noir.
- For more flavor, add some diced cooked bacon to the slow cooker.
Can I put raw meat in the slow cooker?
Yes, you can! In some recipes, I sear the beef cubes before placing them in the slow cooker. But in this instance, I just put the raw meat straight into the crockpot and the end result was the most tender beef pieces imaginable.
Are beef burgundy and beef bourguignon the same?
Yes. In fact, “bourguignon” is French for “burgundy” or “in the style of the Burgundy region.” It’s a French beef stew () made famous by the one and only, Julia Child.
You may also like these beef recipes:
- 1.5 pounds beef stew meat approximate amount
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup 10.5 ounces
- 1 cup red grape juice like Welch’s, the purple kind
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 packet onion soup mix 1 ounce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Place the stew meat in the bottom of the slow cooker.1.5 pounds beef stew meat
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all other sauce ingredients. Microwave for about a minute or so, stir well to blend, then pour it over the meat.1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup red grape juice, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1 packet onion soup mix, 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Cook on low all day for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Server over freshly cooked egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
“Cherish your human connections: your relationships with friends and family.”