I am an avid supporter of Tiramisu. If it is on the menu at a restaurant, I’m ordering it. If a grocery store sells it, I’m buying it, and if I’m making it, it is going to be good. I don’t have a t-shirt yet but I can come up with a pair of pom poms if need be and I even wrote a little jingle for it this morning “Tiramisu! It’s so good for you! Tiramisu! It’s so good for you!!”. This Easy & Decadent Caramel Tiramisu…it is heaven!
So I got to thinking about my old recipe for it. It’s pretty standard and a little bit fussy, so I don’t make it very often because I’m just not a fussy recipe type gal on a day to day basis. A few days back, though, an idea popped in my mind of making a Caramel Tiramisu – because I love caramel anything – and I decided to simplify my recipe and give this new add in a whirl at the same time.
I was shocked. This tiramisu is the best I’ve tasted to date and so very simple to throw together! I was concerned that taking the “fussy” out of the recipe would leave me disappointed but instead it left me wondering why I ever had the “fussy” in the recipe to begin with. This is a rich, decadent, not over the top sweet dessert that is served cold, making it the perfect dish to take to a summer barbecue or party. If you love tiramisu, I beseech you to try this.
Now seriously, when was the last time you were beseeched?
I have a few other thoughts to share with you but since they have absolutely nothing to do with this recipe (as is my custom), I have decided to post them at the bottom. So after you mentally make Caramel Tiramisu by reading this post, you can step into my day for a moment, and then go get the stuff to make Caramel Tiramisu in your own kitchen. Because you need it, it’s good, and I’ve already done gone and beseeched ya ;).
P.S. You can substitute Splenda or your favorite powdered sweetener substitute for the sugar in this if you like.
Let’s talk ingredients. You’re gonna need Ladyfingers, Light Whipped Topping (or regular), Vanilla, Cream Cheese, Sugar (or splenda), Instant Coffee, and some Caramel Sundae Syrup*.
*You want this thinner caramel syrup, not the thick stuff that comes in a jar, so it can soak into the ladyfingers along with the coffee.
Ladyfingers are sometimes hard to find. My Krogers usually has them and Publix pretty much always does but you may have to ask for helping finding them at both places. They generally tend to hang around the bakery area. If you can’t find them, you can substitute angel food cake (sliced thin), pound cake (again, sliced thin), or even a homemade yellow cake, but these will make your end product a bit sweeter. That is fine, I just wanted you to know ahead of time.
To start with, take 3/4 a cup of hot water and add enough instant coffee to make two cups to it. So I’m using two of these little sleeves. Stir that up and set it aside.
Place your cream cheese, sugar (or splenda), and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Mix this with an electric mixer until well blended. Add in whipped topping and mix again, scraping down the sides as needed, until smooth and creamy.
*Christy, can I use homemade whipped cream? You sure can. Knock yourself out. Finding out how much heavy cream you’ll need is gonna be on you so play with it until you get 3 cups.
1. In the bottom of an 8×8 pan, place the bottom half of your ladyfingers. Ladyfingers are little cakes that have been split in half so you may not think you have enough but once you take them apart you do.
2. Now just drizzle half of your coffee over those with a spoon, trying to keep it kinda sorta even if you can.
3. Then do a little zig zag of some caramel on top of that. You don’t want too much, just a quick few lines. That way it will soak in and blend with the coffee flavor rather than having a runny goo at the bottom of your dish.
4. Spread 1/2 of you topping mixture over this and then repeat process one more time.
5. End by sprinkling a little cocoa powder over the top, if you like. Cover and refrigerate several hours.
Look at this photo. Guess what? It tastes even better than it looks. I’ve heard that the word “tiramisu” is Italian for “pick me up”? I don’t know about you, but I think I need a little pick me up right about now 🙂
As easy as this is to make, I hope you give it a try soon!
- 1 package Lady fingers 12, split in half makes 24 pieces
- 3 cups whipped topping
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temp
- 1/3 cup sugar or Splenda
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Enough instant coffee to make two cups
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 bottle of Caramel Syrup Ice Cream Topping
- Cocoa Powder for sprinkling on top if desired
- Stir instant coffee into hot water until dissolved, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, place cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth and blended. Add whipped topping and beat again, scraping down sides as needed, until well blended and creamy.
- Place 1/2 of ladyfingers in bottom of 8x8 dish. Use a spoon to drizzle 1/2 of coffee over them. Top with a few zigzag squirts from caramel topping.
- Place 1/2 of whipped mixture over this and spread to cover. Repeat this process once more and then sprinkle a bit of cocoa powder on top to finish it off, if desired. Cover and refrigerate several hours before serving. Serve cold.
This recipe was shared at The Weekend Potluck!
And now my thoughts…