Hot from the pan pumpkin fritters and orange marmalade dipping sauce. My stomach just rumbled writing that.
Perfect appetizer anytime of the year
I love to bring a little something different out anytime of year. We all know pumpkin and fall go together but this pumpkin fritter recipe is just as delicious as an appetizer at a barbecue. With just a hint of spice and sweetness, it is particularly satisfying. I’m an orange marmalade gal so that burst of citrus flavor is definitely the best way to top these off.
Ready for the recipe? Don’t blink because you might miss it. It’s just that easy!
- Libby Canned Pumpkin
- Self Rising Flour
- You’ll also need oil to fry in, and some store bought Orange Marmalade.
How To Make Pumpkin Fritters
To start, take a sauce pot and fill it with oil of your choosin’ to a depth of 2 inches.
Put this on medium high heat to preheat while we make our batter. I use a saucepan because it is smaller so I’m able to use a lot less oil in order to get the depth I want.
Now let’s make our batter!
- Just take all ingredients (exact measurements at the bottom), dump them in a bowl, and stir until they’re well mixed like this.
I love recipes like that, don’t you? 🙂
- Scoop up by spoonfuls and carefully drop that into your hot oil. I just get my spoon close to the surface of the oil and push the batter off with my finger.
- They will immediately start bubbling and float to the top. Cook until nice and dark brown, turning every now and then so they cook evenly, like this. It will take a few minutes.
Tips to get that delicious texture:
Now keep in mind that this batter is dark colored so you need some real browning to go on before you know they are done. It is okay to take one out and cut it in half to test so you know you have the cook time about right. I cooked these about two minutes or so on each side. Then I added an extra minute for good measure.
- To make my orange marmalade dipping sauce, I just emptied a small jar of orange marmalade into a bowl, heated it in the microwave for about 45 seconds, and then stirred in two tablespoons of water until well mixed. This makes it a nice thick syrup consistency, perfect for dipping those fritters in!
Note: You wanna have a spoon in the sauce so they can spoon it onto their fritter or plate.
That’s all there is to it, now eat them pumpkin fritters up!
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Fill a saucepot with vegetable oil to a depth of 2 inches. Place over medium high heat while you prepare batter.
- For batter: Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and stir together with a spoon until well blended.
- Check temperature of oil by dropping a pinch of flour in it. If it immediately bubbles, oil is ready. If not, allow oil to heat for a few more minutes.
- Reduce oil to medium. Carefully drop batter by spoonful into oil, pushing it off the spoon with your finger. Repeat until you have several cooking. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until dark golden brown. Remove to paper towel lined plate and cook remainder of batter.
- To prepare marmalade dipping sauce, spoon a small jar of marmalade into a bowl and add two tablespoons of water. Heat in microwave for 45 seconds. Stir together until well combined.
Make sure you check out my other pumpkin recipes perfect for this time of year!
- Pumpkin Crumb Cake YUMMM!
- Good For you Pineapple Pumpkin Smoothie
- Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls Quick and Easy
- Fritters, Flautas, and Snack Cake
“You better take care of me, Lord, if you don’t you’re gonna have me on your hands.”
~Hunter S. Thompson
This is so true :).