If you’re in search of a quick and delicious supper, this easy tomato basil soup recipe ticks all the boxes. Using just four ingredients, it’s on the table in 30 minutes.
This easy tomato basil soup recipe couldn’t be simpler. I got the recipe from the cooks at St. Mary’s in Sewanee, Tennessee many, many years ago. I love to serve it with toasty grilled cheese sandwiches for a perfectly soothing meal at the end of a long day.
All you need is four ingredients to make this creamy tomato basil soup: a can of tomato soup, a can of diced tomatoes, basil pesto, and milk. Simply add the ingredients to a saucepot and let them simmer. In 30 minutes it’s ready to serve to your hungry family as the main dish. Or perhaps it will become your new favorite weekday lunch?
This soup is delicious with lots of tomato flavor. It’s also light, healthy, and vegetarian. It’s no tomato basil bisque, which uses cream to make it thicker, but it ticks all of my boxes! Plus, there’s no need for an immersion blender or roasted tomatoes like other tomato soup recipes out there. It’s the definition of easy, which is just how I like it.
- Can of petite diced tomatoes
- Pesto sauce
- Tomato soup
- Milk (I’m using whole milk but you can use whatever is in your fridge).
How To Make My Easy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Pour the tomato soup into a saucepot. Fill up the soup can with milk and add that.
Pour in the can of diced tomatoes, juice and all.
Add a tablespoon of pesto sauce.
Stir that up and heat over medium until heated through.
Oh my goodness, you’ll never believe something this simple can be this good.
Hope this tomato basil soup warms you right up!
Store soup leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze leftovers for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating quickly on the stovetop.
- Garnish your bowl of hot soup with cracked fresh basil leaves, garlic croutons, or fresh parmesan cheese.
- If you want to use instead of the can, you’re going to need to roast a handful of or plum tomatoes in and then blend them to make a homemade version of . Then you’ve got yourselves .
- Instead of whole milk, I’ve heard this works well with .
- For added flavor, add a teaspoon of or chopped fresh basil to the .
What can I pair with a bowl of tomato basil soup?
This soup goes great with its best friend, i.e. a grilled cheese sandwich or some homemade cheesy garlic bread, but you can pair it with a whole bunch of other food. Try it with an Italian salad. Cook up some ravioli and add it to the bowl. Tuna salad sandwich lover? Dunk it in this beautiful bowl. Or simply dip in a slice of crusty bread. The possibilities are endless. Feel free to dunk.
You make like some of these soup recipes:
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 an petite diced tomatoes undrained, 15-ounce
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- In a saucepot, place the tomato soup, tomatoes, and pesto sauce.1 can tomato soup, 1 an petite diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- Fill the tomato soup can with milk and pour that in as well.1 1/4 cup milk
- Stir and heat over medium until heated through. Enjoy!