This is a good and hearty meal that I place in the category of Man Food. Now don’t get to thinking man food is just for men. That’s just what I think of when I want a filling, satisfying, meaty dish that is going to stick with me for a while. One Skillet Chili Bake is the PERFECT man food dish. It is all of those things and more, plus it has the bonus of involving very little effort to make.
Whats more, it is eaten with chips so you can go back to your cave man roots and ditch the utensils!
We have this dish for supper but it’s great to serve at sports events and such as well. Let me show you how easy it is to make.
Place ground beef in a large skillet and brown it over medium high heat, chopping it up as you do so. Drain any grease once it’s done.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can red kidney beans 14-15 oz
- 1 can Ro-Tel or one small can diced tomatoes and small can chopped green chilies (10 oz*
- 1/2 Cup uncooked rice
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Cup water if needed
- In large skillet, brown beef and drain well.
- Add beans, Ro-Tel, Rice, and Chili Powder.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until rice is done. Uncover and top with cheddar cheese. Continue cooking until cheese melts. Serve with tortilla or corn chips.
Add in ideas:
Anything you'd normally add into chili, of course, works great in this. I love to add corn and have sour cream handy for folks to top theirs if they like. Green onions are also wonderful. I have been known to add an additional can of beans, usually rinsed black beans, as well. If you want this recipe to feed more people, simply add a little more rice and the needed water for that and it will go pretty far!
I've also used mozzarella when I didn't have cheddar and more than once I've simply topped it with a few slices of cheese in a pinch!