Want a tender and juicy eye of round roast recipe that is simple as all get out and one that the family will love? Then keep scrolling because this eye of round is the best one I have ever made.
Eye of round roast was always one of our “fancier” meals growing up and when Mama made it for Sunday dinner, our busy teenage worlds stopped so we could all sit down at the table.
When I was younger, one of the best restaurants in Huntsville, Alabama was The Fogcutter. I remember one evening I had plans to go there on a date when I found out Mama was making her eye of round meal for supper that night. I actually called my date, had him cancel the reservations, and invited him to eat at our house instead!
Fortunately, this eye of round roast recipe couldn’t be simpler. All you need is the roast beef and some ground black pepper. We’re going to coat the beef in pepper and then roast it in the oven. That’s it! The roast beef is tender, juicy, and flavorful thanks to the pepper coating. Keep reading to discover lots of side dishes to pair with this delicious main dish.
May this become a special Sunday supper in your house as well.
- Eye of round roast
- Coarse ground black pepper
How to Make Easy Eye of Round Roast
Generously sprinkle the pepper on your beef eye roast.
Until it looks like this. I like to press the pepper into the beef with the palm of my hand to make sure it sticks.
There, you’ve prepared your roast!
Place the eye of round roast in a roasting pan lined with aluminum foil or greased with cooking spray.
Now, stick this in an oven preheated to 500 degrees.
Bake at for 5 minutes per pound plus 10 minutes. Then turn the oven off and don’t open it for two hours.
It will look a little like this once roasted.
from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Slice your roast beef into thin slices using an electric knife, if possible.
My mother always used an electric knife to slice her eye of round roast. I’ve never owned an electric knife as I thought they were expensive. But enter my favorite company, Hamilton Beach. I got this electric knife with a really nice carrying case.
IT IS SO AWESOME! Eye of round is a tender roast but difficult to cut. Now with an electric knife, I get perfect-looking thin slices like my Mama and it only takes a second or two to do each slice, that’s all!
Enjoy every tender and juicy slice of round roast beef.
- Store leftover beef roast in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Use cold leftovers in your sandwich the following day.
- You can also freeze leftover meat for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then simply reheat in the microwave.
- If it is a long cut of beef roast, cut it in half and place the pieces of meat side by side in the roasting pan, leaving a little space between the halves.
- While I love simple pepper seasoning, feel free to make your own roast beef seasoning mix with your favorite herbs and spices. Options include onion powder, garlic powder (or minced ), salt, a pinch of paprika, dried rosemary, and dried thyme. I’d use about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of each.
What is an eye of round roast?
The eye of round is a budget-friendly lean cut from a cow’s hindquarters. They’re typically less tender than more expensive cuts of beef, but follow this recipe and you’ll get juicy beef eye roasted to perfection.
What do you serve with eye of round roast?
Serve your round roast beef as a main dish with gravy, mashed potatoes or mashed , and some veggies. Here are some of my favorite vegetable side dishes: fresh green beans, roasted vegetables, zucchini and squash, and roasted asparagus. Another option, with is definitely Southern Plate approved, is serving it alongside some mac and cheese.
Check out these other roast recipes:
Slow-Roasted Beef Brisket in the Oven
Pot Roast Recipe in a Crock Pot
- 1 eye of round roast
- cracked or coarse ground black pepper
- Generously pepper the roast.1 eye of round roast, cracked or coarse ground black pepper
- Place roast in a baking dish lined with aluminum foil or sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place the roast in a preheated 500-degree oven. Bake for 5 minutes per pound plus 10 minutes. Turn off the oven and DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN for two hours.
- Slice using an electric knife, if possible, and enjoy!
If you purchase from the above Amazon link then Southern Plate will get a small commission to go towards continuing to update and produce recipes for y’all.
I dont see where it says how long to cook
It’s in the recipe instructions at the bottom. You have to cook it by weight. 🙂
This is the only way to cook eye of round because it is such a lean piece of meat. Makes for great gravy. Last Christmas Eve, I cooked two 5lb standing rib roasts the same way. Perfect! I tried the method out the week before using a 5lb roast for the two of us.
So glad you like it Vicky!!
WOW what a great recipe, and so simple. I’ve been cooking roasts for years (especially EOR) and it’s always been unpredictable – overcooked, dry etc. this roast came out absolutely perfectly and OMG what flavor. I added not only the heavy pepper, but light salt and garlic. I found my “go to” recipe from now on. Thank you!
Oh my goodness! Made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Followed the recipe directly as written and even pulled out my electric knife for this one. Husband and picky daughter gave it two thumbs up. Thanks!
Have you ever cooked eye of round roast with gravy? If not try this. Place the roast in a pan, mix 1 large can of mushroom soup with 1 envelope of onion soup mix, pour over roast, cover tightly with foil and bake. I usually cook at 400 degrees for an hour or so to get things boiling then turn to 350 and cook till done. You will love it, best gravy in the world, I promise.