Slow-cooked in Italian seasoning, Italian dressing, and chicken broth, this tender Italian chicken and potatoes recipe cooked in the crockpot is the perfect one-pot meal.
Sometimes we forget that we have staples already in our pantries that can make an everyday dish turn into a sensation for the senses. This recipe for easy Italian chicken and potatoes serves up chicken and vegetables with a juicy pop of flavor. With spring on the horizon, I know we all want to spend more time enjoying the beautiful weather that is coming our way and so the nicer the weather gets, the more I tend to rely on crockpot meals to free up my time in the kitchen.
5 ingredients only
So what do you need to make my slow-cooker Italian chicken and potato recipe… besides chicken and potatoes? 😉 Well, you need to put the Italian in it, of course! We use dry Italian seasoning and Italian dressing. Plus, chicken broth ensures every bite is tender and flavorful. 5 ingredients, we love to see it!
Now, the instructions are hard… are you ready for them? Dump it all in the crockpot and walk away! You can cook it slow on low all day or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Gosh, I love meals like this! Then come back and simply serve it up to your hungry family. There are some serving suggestions below but this is truly a hearty and filling one-pot meal as is.
I know some of y’all are still in the middle of winter where you are. While the temps in Alabama have definitely dropped lately, out my window the sun is shining so pretty that I can’t help but feel joy just looking at it. Finding joy in the little things, that’s the way to live!
Now let us get in the kitchen and whip up some supper!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Red potatoes
- Italian seasoning herbs
- Chicken broth
- Italian dressing
How to Make Crockpot Italian Chicken and Potatoes
Place the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker (mine is a 6-quart but a 4-quart would work).
Add the potatoes and sprinkle them with the Italian seasoning.
Pour the chicken broth and the Italian salad dressing over everything.
Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through: 7 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
You want it to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
I like to get more green veggies in by serving this with a little salad on the side. But there are more options below.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can reheat them in the oven or microwave.
- Skin-on-bone-in chicken thighs or bone-in chicken breasts work as well.
- You want to use dry Italian seasoning herbs, not Italian dressing mix.
- If you’d like to add more vegetables to the slow cooker, I recommend a cup of carrots chopped into half-inch pieces, cubed sweet potatoes, or cubed butternut squash.
- For lemon Italian chicken and potatoes, add the zest and juice of 1 medium lemon.
- You can make your own Italian seasoning and Italian dressing. For the homemade Italian seasoning, you’ll want a combination of basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. For the homemade Italian dressing, you’ll need fresh lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and minced garlic cloves.
Can you just put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can absolutely put raw chicken in the slow cooker.
Is it better to brown the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker?
I find the chicken gets deliciously tender whether or not you brown it beforehand. Therefore, I don’t think this is necessary.
Should chicken be covered in liquid in the slow cooker?
Covering the chicken with liquid (in this instance, chicken broth and Italian dressing) ensures the chicken breast gets nice and tender.
Is it better to cook chicken on high or low in the crockpot?
I love cooking chicken on low in the crockpot for best results. But if you’re short-pressed on time, high works as well.
Should you flip the chicken in the slow cooker?
There’s no need to flip or turn chicken breast in the slow cooker.
How goes good with Italian chicken and potatoes?
Here are some side dishes to enjoy with your Italian chicken and potatoes:
- Velveeta Bowtie Pasta Salad
- Roasted Asparagus
- Garlic Bread
- Fresh Green Beans
- Collard Greens
- Greek Salad
- Old-Fashioned Macaroni Salad
- Simple Zucchini and Squash
- 5 Cup Fruit Salad
As for a garnish, I recommend sprinkling the dish with chopped fresh parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
You may also like these crockpot chicken recipes:
- 2 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 4 to 6 medium red potatoes cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 14.5-ounce can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup bottled Italian salad dressing
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the potatoes and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning.2 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts, 4 to 6 medium red potatoes cut into large chunks, 1 tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
- Pour the chicken broth and the Italian dressing over everything.1 14.5-ounce can chicken broth, 1/2 cup bottled Italian salad dressing
- Cook until the chicken is cooked through: 7 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
Blessed are the joy makers.
~Nathaniel Parker Willis