If you love the Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole, you’ll definitely want to add this cheesy hash brown casserole to your files. It’s cheesy and creamy comfort food the whole family will love.
This cheesy hash brown casserole is a copycat recipe, as I love the version served at Cracker Barrel. If you’re the same, you’re going to love this recipe as much as I do. It’s so easy to make this casserole, which is so cheesy and creamy – the ultimate comfort food combination! It features cheese, shredded hash browns, and cream of chicken soup. All you have to do is mix the ingredients together, place them in a casserole dish, and bake. Delicious and easy, what’s not to love?
This casserole is also a very versatile recipe (like you needed another reason to love it). We have this as a side dish at all our holiday dinners, family reunions, and any other time we can come up with an excuse to make it. It could also be a great breakfast casserole too and the recipe is simple enough to add to the regular dinner rotation.
- Frozen shredded hash browns
- Cream of chicken soup (canned or homemade)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Dice onion and place in a large mixing bowl along with melted butter, cream soup, and seasonings.
Stir this up with a large spoon until well combined.
Add in cheese.
Add (still frozen or lightly thawed is fine).
Stir all of this up until well mixed.
Spread this into a lightly greased 9×13 pan and bake in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
Store your casserole leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave.
- Here are some ingredients you can add to your casserole: chopped red bell pepper, crumbled bacon, and green onion.
- Speaking of crunchy, you can quickly turn this into by adding a crunchy topping. Sprinkle some , Ritz crackers, panko crumbs, or on top of your
- If you like, you can substitute the cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom soup.
- Garnish your casserole with some chopped fresh parsley or green onion.
Can I make this cheesy hash brown casserole in advance?
Yes, you can definitely make this casserole ahead of time. You can prepare it a day ahead, cover it in the fridge, and then bake when ready. Or you can bake it in advance, refrigerate, and then rewarm. A final option is to cover the casserole with aluminum foil tightly and place it in the freezer, right before you bake it. It can last for up to 30 days or sometimes a little longer. To serve, take it out of the freezer 24 hours before you want to bake it and let it thaw in the fridge. Bake as directed.
Is this casserole a breakfast or dinner dish?
The beauty of this cheesy hash brown casserole is that it’s both! Serve it for breakfast, dinner, or as a side dish. It tastes great when served with main meals like crockpot turkey breast, baked ham, or steak and gravy. Here are some other Southern side dishes I love to pair with my cheesy hash brown casserole too: fried okra, fresh green beans, butter beans, turnip greens, and cornbread, of course!
You may also like these casserole dishes:
- 2 lbs frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 can cream of chicken soup or one recipe of homemade cream soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine soup, onion, melted butter, and seasonings, stir well. Add in shredded cheese and frozen hash browns.2 lbs frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon salt
- Spread into a lightly greased 9x13 casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.